Thursday, December 15, 2005

Reasons why I don't want to commute

******************

We received an email from a member in response to Sylvie's article Why Do You Telecommute? Comparing 6 Lousy and 6 Great Reasons for Working at Home.

We thought it gave some good reasons and was a great discussion starter.

We'd like to hear what you have to say!


Hi,

This is D and I just wanted to share some personal thoughts with you on why I don't want to commute.

As I get older, I think about the many years I spent working and raising a family and taking care of the house.

We all know it is hard to be everything to everyone and that it is hard to be a mother, wife, homemaker, and work at the same time.

As we get older and look back on where we have been and try to look forward to where we are going, we try to decide what we would like to change.


I Don't want to commute

I don't want to worry about driving after dark or in the winter. I don't see that well in the dark. I don't like driving on ice. I live in a rural community and don't want to drive in or to the city or deal with the traffic. I don't want to put extra miles on my car and have to replace it every 4 years. Cars are too expensive. I don't want to have to pay out high fuel costs. It's not economically feasible, unless you have a high paying job or live close to work.

And Yes, these reasons are personal. But I have no desire to end up in a ditch on an icy road, have car trouble on a dark deserted road, pay $100.00/wk. for fuel, or buy a new car ever 4 years. I want to cut expenses, not create them.

I don't know if you consider these lousy reasons or not. But they make a great deal of sense to me. 1. Life, limb, and safety 2.economically feasible

I Don't want to buy a new wardrobe

I don't want the expense of "a wardrobe for work" I don't want to worry about a bad hair day, or makeup either for that matter. And I have reached the age when fashion and what everyone else is doing or wearing just doesn't interest me.

Once again personal and once again cutting expenses. But I doubt that the computer really cares what I look like.

I do want to work from home.
I do want a job I enjoy.
I do want flexibility.

I am looking forward to retirement in the next few years and don't want to
begin all over again at some corporation at my age.

I read your email on Great and Lousy Reasons for working from home. One of the lousy reasons was "I don't want to commute"

I would like your input on my reasons for why I don't want to commute.

sincerely,
D

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home